Some research into what other people have done

So I thought I might have a look at what other people on my course have done in previous years as a final year project and how they structured it. So I though quite a few people must have put their projects online as a pdf. So I wrote a little scrip that would query the online list and then Google search for the topic. Here is the script:
#!/usr/bin/ruby
require "open-uri"
require 'rubygems'
require 'hpricot'

page = open("cit0708.html")
doc = Hpricot.parse(page)

(doc/"table.body_showcase").each do |link|
a = (link/"p")
puts "firefox \'http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=\"" + a.first.inner_html + "\"\'"
end

And off I went to look at Google. But only one guy had put his dissertation online. Some people would conclude some stuff about Bournemouth uni students but I will restrain from this. But I still think the projects should be uploaded to somewhere. I know other Universities print books with all the projects in them so their students get publications.
On anther note: I really like the hpricot library, makes parsing HTML really easy. Even if you are not a big fan of ruby you might want to have a look at it.

No comments: