Vista boot restore tool

I installed fedora onto my laptop and descided I didn't like it. So I deleted all the linux partions. But this also killed /boot so grub couldn't find anything. So I was left with a schredded mbr and had to type into grub to boot into windows:

grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
grub> makeactive
grub> chainloader +1
grub> boot

So what now, I needed a new mbr. So I plugged in my cdrom drive again (IBM X60s has no CD drive) and booted into the vista install CD. Here you have the option to repair your windows install. This failed all the time. Then I found this little tool
bootrec
It is brilliant it does what it sais : Installs the mbr new

Further Vista refuses to boot when I install Linux on the same drive. It just stops at some dll. And apparently this has to do with the pcmci devices, but if I have the vista mbr it works, grub it fails.
=> Vista doesn't like a different boot loader

No comments: